Sunday, June 12

Tex Mex Brisket - PBAB

The weekend is over and I am still reminiscing about the fabulous dinner party Prince Charming and I attended on Friday night. My good friend Fruit Salad and her husband Tex Mex hosted our tight circle of friends over at their place in our neighborhood. Tex Mex is an ex-hedge fund manager from New York and like most hedge fund managers knows a lot about wines. Why is that? Do all hedge fund managers have to attend a wine course as part of their orientation? "Hey, before you short that stock, better learn which French blends from the Languedoc region include Cab Franc!" Prince Charming and I have benefited from his knowledge and their generosity as they always bring fabulous wines to our house when we have hosted them in the past. The responsibility of bringing a good bottle of wine to their dinner party was on me.

On the way back from work, I headed directly to our country club to see if I could purchase a bottle directly from them. I called the club's wine expert as I drove in, and was told that he was out on vacation, and the F&B director was kind enough to help me out. She actually took me down to the wine cellar with the wine list! I was thrilled to be there but wished I knew more about wines to have enjoyed the experience more.



The F&B director was honest enough to inform me that she too knew very little, but I had faith in the wine list. I knew that it had been put together very carefully through the years and we have always been happy with the wines that we have been served. So I took the wine list, and randomly went for a Cabernet Sauvignon as I knew he was making a Texan brisket dish. Can't go wrong with a Cab for beef, right! Here is what I picked...a 2007 J Daniel Cuvee Cabernet Sauvignon from Lail Vineyards (apologies for the iPhone quality photo...). It ended up being a fabulous pick, with many deep complex tones, fruity yet woody. I thought I'd post about it to share it with our readers (and to remember what we had)!


I hope Fruit Salad and Tex Mex enjoyed the wine too! The dinner was truly delish. Here are a few pictures from that night.

The brisket, having been slow cooked for 8 hours in all that sauce. Seasoning included chipotle, onions, and garlic. Tex Mex, please comment to give us the ingredients!


Tex Mex making gravy - he melted some butter, mixed in flour with the oil from the brisket, and cooked that for a few minutes. He added the rest of the sauce from the slow cooker, some red wine and pepper and whisked it as it bubbled.


The meat - falling apart in tenderness.



The final plate - served with salad made by Brown Sugar Cookie, and mashed potatoes. Yumm! The meat was so soft and the sauce was delectable. He served it with sprinkled green onions on top. I don't know how Texan it really was, but it was so good! It was more French meets New York meets New Orleans. Fruit Salad and Tex Mex, thanks again! We love dining with you guys!



Best,
Cinnamon

6 comments:

Devil Curry said...

It looks delish! But I'm intrigued....what is PBAB?

I'm So Fancy said...

That was a Weight Watchers recipe, right? :-) Seriously, though, yes, Cab Franc and the stock market are closely interlinked. If watching H tells me anything...

Cinnamon and Truffle said...

Dear Devil Curry, PBAB is a British acronym for Please Bring a Bottle.

Dear Fancy, you are right, it was not a low cal meal, but I think low cal meals are hardly delish, right?

Rachel said...

Brisket smoked over woodchips on the BBQ (served with BBQ sauce made from a divine cocktail of meat dripping, mustard, ketchup and other stuff) is about as close to heaven as you can get with a hunk of meat. Probably just gave away my hick roots there...

exhedgefundtrader said...

Here is the recipe if anyone is interested. i love to grill outside, but i find a slow cooker works great w/ brisket too, and works year round. So:

Here is the rub that i put on the brisket (which is 4-5lb) the night before:
1/3 cup brown sugar,
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1.5 tsp chili powder
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp pepper
1 tsp mexican oregano (regular works too)
3/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp of sugar

I dice an onion and layer the bottom of the slow cooker with it. I put the brisket in, fat side up. Cook on low for 10 hours. Thats it.

Gravy is easy, just make a roux w/ some of the fat off the top and flour (equal parts), then add some wine and all the rest of the drippings from the brisket. Simmer 20 minutes til its reduced to a nice spoon coating texture.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I'm now hating my veggie supper even more. Meat: get in me! That beef looks absolutely divine. *slobber*

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...